Brno is situated in a picturesque countryside, surrounded on three sides by wooded hills and opening to the Southern
Moravian lowlands to the south of the city. In the north, the city is guarded by the foothils of the Drahany and Bohemian-Moravian
Accommodation in Brno Hotels
Holiday Inn Hotel Brno
Krizskovskeho str., Brno
Hotel is situated on the doorstep of Brno trade fair complex, just a few minutes away from
the city centre. Holiday Inn Brno is a tranquil and cosy place for having holidays or making
business as well. It is a perfect starting point for exploring the South Moravian capital and
price: 228 EUR single room, 228 EUR double room
Royal Ricc Hotel Brno
Starobrnenska str., Brno
Hotel is situated in the heart of Brno City. Five minutes walking from very famous St. Peter and St. Paul s Cathedral. Romanesque
basilica from the 11th century. Later rebuild in Gothic and than in Baroque style. Brno is the second largest city in Czech Republic,granted its city charter in 1243.
International Hotel Brno
Husova str., Brno
In the modern history the town became known for the famous Masaryk Race Track and names
like Chiron, Nuvolari or Agostini. There is also one of the most beautiful European
Exhibition Grounds from the 20s of this century, which is famous not only for important
exhibitions but also for the functionali...
double room / night
Slavia Hotel Brno
Solnicni str., Brno
Hotel Slavia is a hotel that can look back at more than one hundred years of tradition. At
present, the hotel has 79 double roomsand 3 suites, fitted up with modern comforts and
conveniences, induding colour satellite TV, a minibar and a direct dialling-in phone.
double room / night
Amphone Hotel Brno
Tr. Kpt. Jarose str., Brno
The Hotel Amphone*** is a family hotel combining tradition, comfort and a great city centre
location. The leafy boulevard on which it stands was bulit in New Renaissance style at the
end of nineteenth century, as is the hotel. The hotel opened in this building in the spring
double room / night
||Imos Hotel Brno
Hudcova str., Brno
The Hotel Imos Brno offers accommodation at a reasonable price in peaceful surrounds near to the centre of Brno. The hotel has single, twin and three-bedded rooms available, as well as a suite. The hotel offers three-star accommodation. Each hotel room contains bathroom and separate toilet, a colour television with satellite reception and a telephone.
price: 28 EUR single room, 35 EUR double room
History of Brno
Man has lived in the Brno basin
since prehistoric times, and there was a settlement on the site of today's city at the time of the Great Moravian Empire. In around
1000 a settlement was established on a ford across the River Svratka, now known as Stare Brno (Old Brno), and it was this that gave
the city its name. From the 11th century, Bretislav's castle stood here, and was the seat of the non-ruling Premyslid Prince. Around
the castle several Czech market villages grew up, both in Old Brno and around Horni trh (today: Zelny trh / Vegetable Market).
colonists started to arrive from the 13th century: Germans, Flemish and Walloons, who settled around the Lower Square (today's Namesti
Svobody). A Jewish quarter was also formed in the area that today forms the lower end of Masarykova Street. Legal support for the
development of the city came with the large and small privileges that were conferred upon the city in 1243 by Václav I, King
of Bohemia. The city was then surrounded by fortifications which had five gates (Menin, Zidovska (Jews' Gate), Starobrnenska (Old
Brno Gate), Vesela (Merry Gate), and Behounska).
There were two parish churches - St. Peter's and St. James', and several monasteries:
Benedictine in Komarov, Premonstrate in Zabrdovice, monasteries for mendicant orders such as the Dominicans, Minorites, Heburgs,
Johannites in Old Brno, and a convent for Cistercian nuns also in Old Brno, which was founded by Queen Eliska Rejcka. The
Spilberk castle was rebuilt in a Gothic style in the 13th century. In the 14th century the city became the seat of the Moravian Margraves,
and underwent a period of great expansion; at this time there about 1000 buildings and 11 000 inhabitants.
In the mid-16th century Brno began to lean towards Protestantism, whose representatives had a majority on the city council. In an
attempt to re-Catholicise the city, new Catholic orders came to Brno, of whom the Jesuits and the Capuchins were to gain a great
influence. The number of inhabitants in the pre-White Mountain period remained at a similar level as it had been two hundred years
previously. In 1619 the city contributed to the Estates Rebellion, for which it was punished.
In 1643 and 1645 Brno was the only
city to successfully defend the Swedish besiegements, thereby allowing the Austrian Empire to reform their armies and to repel the
Swedish pressure. During the defence of the city, the military leader Radoit de Souches and the Jesuit Rector, Father Martin Streda,
both played important roles. In recognition of its services the city was rewarded with a renewal of its city privileges which included
a new symbol. During the Thirty Years' War Brno became the only capital of Moravia, and from 1641 the regional Moravian records were
held in Brno. Following the Thirty Years' War the city became an impregnable baroque fortress. In 1742 the Prussians vainly attemptedto conquer the city, and the position of Brno was confirmed with the establishment of a bishopric in 1777.
Map distance from Prague