From the 10th century Prague Castle was not only the seat of the head of state, the princes
and later kings, but also of the highest representative of church, the Prague bishop.
Wenceslas Square is an important place in the centre of Prague (Capital of the Czech Republic).
It has been a place where many historical events occurred. It's also a traditional
place for demonstrations, celebrations, and similar public gatherings.
Old Town Square
In the heart of the Old Town is the Old Town Square where centuries of notable entertainment
have taken place and where a feeling of the dramatic history permeates the atmosphere.
The Jan Hus statue is the centrepiece among a variety of surrounding historical buildings.
The oldest Prague bridge built in the place of the Judita's Bridge that had been badly
damaged by a flood in 1342. The Stone or Prague Bridge since 1870 called Charles Bridge,
was founded by Charles IV in the year 1357.
Originally a cattle market, the square was founded by Charles IV as the main centre of
Prague's new side. It is the largest enclosed square in Prague and one of the largest
squares in Europe. The New Town Hall (Novomestska radnice), which served to its purpose up
to the year 1784, was built between the years of 1377-1418.
The Lesser Town was founded in 1257 on the slopes bellow the Prague castle and it is the
part of Prague least affected by resent history.
Formerly the site of a quarry that provided the stone for many of the major buildings in Prague,
today Petrin Hill is covered in trees (it is, in fact, made up of eight adjoining parks and orchards).
It is dominated at the top by the Petrin Observation Tower, a miniature replica of Paris' Eiffel
Tower, which was built for the 1891 Prague Exposition.
In 1495 King Jan I Olbracht transferred Krakow Jews to the nearby royal city of Kazimierz, which
gave rise to its once bustling Jewish quarter and a major European center of the Diaspora for
the next three centuries. With time it turned into virtually separate and self-governed 34-acre
Jewish Town, a model of every East European shtetl, within the limits of the gentile city of
Zizkov is a cadastral district of Prague, Czech Republic. Most of it lies in the municipal and
administrative district of Prague 3.
Vinohrady is a beautiful residential area of Prague that carries a reputation of prestige and elegance.
It covers portions of Prague 2, 3, and 10. Most of its grand Neo-Renaissance, Art Nouveau, Pseudo Baroque,
and Neo-Gothic buildings come from the second half of the 19th century and first half of the 20th century,
and many have been and continue to be restored in an amazing array of color and architectural detail.
The central part of Praha 5 is Smíchov, mentioned for the first time probably at the end of the 13th
century in connection with the coronation of the King Václav II (1271 - 1305). Starting from the
Middle Ages, the prevailing part of this territory was occupied by vineyards, hop-fields, yards,
fields and gardens belonging to the Church, along the Vltava river there were mills.
The centrepiece is the Church of St. Peter and Paul whose blackened shape stands
grandly upon the hill over looking the Vltava river and can be clearly seen from
the Prague castle. Every inch of the interior is immaculately covered with
decorations much like those on the pages of an illustrated manuscript to make
one of the most beautiful interiors in Prague. A small fee is required for
Historie moderních Dejvic, jako mestské cásti zacíná ve 20. letech minulého století.
V této dobe byla celá ctvrt, i s jeho centrem - Vítezným námestím postavena najednou,
podle moderního urbanistického plánu architekta Antonína Engela.
The magical city of bridges, cathedrals, gold-tipped towers and church domes, whose image
has been mirrored in the surface of the Vltava river for more than ten centuries. Prague
is also a modern European metropolis full of energy, music, and art
The origin of Vršovice dates back to the dwellings in the valley of Botic, to the time when
the first counts settled in Vyšehrad. The name of Vršovice is mentioned in 1088 in the
constituting chart of the Vyšehrad Abbey, to which the then village pertained. Consequently,
various other owners possessed the village.
Almost two months ago the Prague district of Karlin was seen on TV screens around the world,
when the worst floods to hit the Czech Republic in hundreds of years put the district two or
three metres under water.
Po 2. svetové válce probíhala v Praze výstavba na pankrácké pláni a na Kacerove. To ovšem
nestacilo a tak bylo rozhodnuto na louce mezi tehdy nove pripojenými mestskými cástmi Chodov
a Háje vybudovat velké sídlište.
Prague - Ruzyne Airport (Prague International Airport) is the public, civil Airport for domestic
and international air traffic and scheduled and unscheduled air transport. Customs and passports
check in and if necessary the health check in is also provided at the Airport. The air traffic
is controlled in accordance with Praha - Ruzyne International Airport (PIA) is a fully co-ordinated
The first written remarks of Strasnice dates to the year of 1185, when it was a part of the
Vysehrad Abbey. In the 14th century, there were three farmyards: Naz’s, Stuk’s and Eling’s,
in 15th century two forts, one of which served as a target for the testing of new guns.
Although Letna is administratively part of Holesovice-Bubny, it is a highly distinctive area
with its own history. Letna belonged to the Czech princes, and in 1088, together with Bubny,
it was donated by the king to the Vysehrad Chapter.
Gesturing toward a steel tower that workers were erecting in the center of the stadium, Burda
said that it would support the largest crane in the Czech Republic. It will be used to
construct the roof of the arena, which he said would be finished by Nov. 10. The original
timeline on Skanska's Web site, however, said the roof would be completed by September.
The New Town, founded in 1348 by Charles IV, was carefully planned and laid out around
three large central market-places: the Hay Market (Senovazne Square), the Cattle Market
(Charless Square) and the Horse Market (Wenceslas Square).
The town of Hradcany was estabilished thanks to the proxinity of the royal seat. It was founded during the
reign of John of Luxembourg sometime after 1320 as a town, which was under the office the Prague Castle burgrave.
A vast complex of buildings and gardens built by J. B. Mathey 1679 - 1685. The core of the complex is the main
three-wing building with a great hall. The murals in the hall are the work of A. Godin and his son Isaac. The
grand garden staircase is decorated by sculptures depicting gods and goddesses fighting the Titans, work of
Dresden sculptors J. J. and P. Herrmann
Take the time to find the tiny and very well-hidden Alchemist cafe behind the Sparta football stadium on Jana
Zajíce ulice. With fantastic coffee and great ice cream and cakes, this quiet, smoke-free cafe is an excellent
way to start your day.
From there make the short walk to the edge of Stromovka and begin your descent into the splendid old royal
hunting grounds that now comprise Prague’s largest city park.