Historical Development Of Karlin
Karlin was founded in the beginning of 19th century (the official year of foundation is 1817), originally as an independent municipality. Before, the area was covered by fields, meadows, vineyards, and very few buildings.
One of the most important structures built before Karlin's official founding is Invalidovna, a large Baroque-style complex designed by the architect Dientzenhofer. Construction work on the building lasted from 1731 to 1737, and only a small fraction of the original plans were actually executed. An adjacent property houses a military cemetery with a chapel from the Late Baroque period, which has become a part of the CKD industrial complex and been preserved until today. Systematic development of the area and the first building regulation did not begin until the middle of the 19th century.
In 1816, 43 buildings were registered in Karlin. In the same year, the first regulatory measures were put in place, mainly due to an increasing number of applications for construction of new or reconstruction of old buildings. During the first stage, a basic geometrical formula was applied, which stemmed from the Classicist concept of a regular network of perpendicular streets with a central plaza. This way, three main streets – Brandyska, Krizovnická, and Zizkova (today's Sokolovska, Krizikova , and Pernerova) – and six perpendicular side streets were created.
By 1827, Karlin had 79 buildings, and their number kept growing, reaching 200 in 1846. Negrelli Viaduct (Ing. Negrelli, Ing. Perner; 1846-51). Old city fortifications, up to then separating Karlin from New Town, were torn down in 1866, significantly increasing interest in the new district, mainly thanks to its proximity to downtown Prague. Another important contribution to the development of this part of the Czech capital was the construction of a Krizik Electric Tramway line to Liben, which passed through Karlin.
Besides residential building blocks, which are typical for Karlin, an important role in the history of the district has been played by industrial plants. Originally, factories were concentrated mostly in the western section, but in 1847 the Prague Gas Works, the Danek Factory, and the Fischel Factory were built along Krizikova and Pernerova Streets; together with other smaller plants, they were later absorbed by the expanding CKD complex. Many shops were built inside blocks, gradually replacing old or unsuitable buildings.
Karlin gained administrative independence in 1903. At that time, the district's territory spanned from today's Saldova Street to Invalidovna. During 1903-14, many streets in the newly regulated area were developed. Karlin became a part of Greater Prague in 1922.