Marianske Lazne (Marienbad) is a relatively young spa town, developed at the beginning of the 19th century in a valley where several excellent healing streams spring from the ground, though its inhabitants were aware of the springs as early as the 1200s. In 1528, King Ferdinand ordered these springs to be examined for salt content.
By the end of the 18th century, the prelate of the Teplá Monastery, Dr. Jan Josef Nehr, had begun a systematic examination of their curative effects. In 1805, he founded the first brick house for spa guests near the Cross Spring called "The Golden Globe", built at the site of a former wooden cabin.
Marianske Lazne (Marienbad) is the second largest Czech spa, which is very rich in mineral springs. There are forty springs within the area and one hundred in the immediate vicinity. The land consisting of todays spa belonged to the Premonstrate Monastery of Tepla, whose abbot K. K. Reitenberger launched the construction of the original baths early in the 19th century, as envisioned by the monastery doctor J. J Nehr. According to the grandiose designs of the architect V. Skalník, terrain transformations were carried out, and parks were created.
Today these, together with the numerous springs, represent the essential features of the town. In 1866, Marianske Lazne (Marienbad) was declared a city and by the beginning of the 20th century ranked among the most important spa centers in Europe.
The pseudo-Baroque cast-iron Colonnade from 1889 is the main promenade of the spa and an important architectural monument. The water from the Cross, Caroline's and Rudolph's Springs is piped to the Colonnade for the drinking cures. The Singing Fountain, located in front of the Colonnade, also captures the attention of visitors. The Ferdinand's, Forest and Ambrose's Springs are among the best known springs in Marianske Lazne (Marienbad).
The spa pavilions were mostly built in the classicist and neo-Renaissance style, while most of the buildings in the spa district of the town bear the imprints of the Art Nouveau style. The Church of the Assumption rises next to the Colonnade. The Russian Church of St. Vladimir and the Anglican Church are located behind the Main Avenue, in the western part of the town.
Source from official website: Marianske Lazne