The city of Plzen (Plzen) is situated in the Plzen basin on the confluence of
four rivers - Mze, Radbuza, Uhlava
and Uslava; the river resulting from the confluence is called Berounka.
The New Town of Plzen was founded at the confluence of four rivers - Radbuza, Mze, Uhlava and Uslava -
following a decree issued by the Czech king Wenceslas II. He did so in 1295. Since the very beginning,
the town became a busy trade center located at the crossroads of two important trade routes.
In the 14th century, Plzen was the third largest town after Prague and Kutna Hora. It comprised 290
houses on an area of 20 ha. Its population was 3,000 inhabitants. In the 16th century, after several
fires that damaged the inner center of the town, Italian architects and builders contributed significantly
to the changing character of the city. The most renowned among them was Giovanni de Statia. The Holy
Roman Emperor, Czech king Rudolf II, resided in Plzen twice between 1599-1600. It was in the time of
the Estates revolt. He fell in love with the city. He even bought two houses neighbouring with the
town hall and had them reconstructed according to his taste.
Later, in 1618, Plzen was besieged and captured by Count Mansfeld's army. Many Baroque style buildings
dating to the end of the 17th century were designed by Jakub Auguston. Sculptures were done by Kristian
Widman. The historical heart of the City - almost identical with the original Gothic layout - was declared
protected historic city reserve in 1989.
Map distance from Prague
Accommodation in Plzen Area
The Panorama Hotel is located close to the centre of the City of Plzen, near to the key peripheries,
nevertheless in a peaceful surrounding of a residential neighbourhood, directly next to the Kosutka Lake
and a park.
Hotel Victoria in Borska street in Plzen was built in 1992. It is a renewed bourgeois house from
the beginning of the twentieth century, which is situated on the border of the towncenter (about
10 minutes walk from the towncenter).
Hotel Central is Luxury 4 StarAccommodation in the City Center with full Comfort. Hotel Central
Has 22 Single Rooms, 50 Double Rooms and 5 Suites. Advantageous location in the town centre with
a view of historical square !
The hotel is situated in one of the oldest quarters of Plzeň historical center. We
offer accommodation in 15 single- to triple bed rooms with maximum overall capacity of 39 beds .
Pension lies on the west subburb of Plzen, in Krimice, next to the international road 605. Located
4 kilometres from the city centre.
The Gondola Hotel, formerly known as the Rosso Hotel, has been redesigned recently by its new owner,
Lukrécius plc. The number of rooms has increased to 14 with the overall capacity of 26 guests. Each
room is equipped with air conditioning with individual settings ...
The arched breaking up of the interior with wooden elements delivers a very individual atmosphere.
The hotel was opened in 1993. 2 single, 21 doble rooms completely furnished, with shower and WC,
with additional bed possibility
The Hajek Areal offers you a wide spectre of services for your rest and attractive entertainment
for your free time. three star hotel with a restaurant, bungalows and autocamp. Hotel - Calm,
clean and quiet hotel in the middle of the forrest..