hotel, hostel, pension, apartment, booking, accommodation offers, unterkunft, special offer, prague, praga, prag, praha, czech republic, discount, prague hotel, prague hotels Welcome to Telc , one of the most beautiful towns in Czech republic with its own history. According to the legend, the foundation of the town is connected with the victory of the Moravian Duke Otto II. over the Czech Duke Bretislav in 1099. It is said that in the memory of the battle the victor established first a chapel later a church and then a community ........


Kutná Hora Hotels


Medinek Hotel
Kutna Hora Hotel Medinek 3-stars

Na Havlicku


U Vlasskeho Dvora
U Vlasskeho Dvora 3 stars Kutna Hora Hotel


MORE CZECH CITIES

Prague Hotels
Hotel Golden Star Prague - SPECIAL OFFER

Cesky Krumlov


Karlovy Vary

      Welcome to TELC

According to the legend, the foundation of the town is connected with the victory of the Moravian Duke Otto II. over the Czech Duke Bretislav in 1099. It is said that in the memory of the battle the victor established first a chapel, later a church and then a community, which is the Old Town today.

The only historical proof is the documentation of a seigniorial estate and watch tower with a little church, which was the residence of the royal administrator. This royal property, Telc was paid out by Charles IV, firstly it was redeemed (1335) and secondly it was exchanged with Jindrich of Hradec for the border castle Banov (1339).

 

This family started founding a new Telc. Menhart of Hradec is supposed to have built the castle, church, water fortification and Gothic houses around the large marketplace. The town started to expand after 1354, and in spite of rapid development – it was granted the right to carry out capital sentences and the right to hold annual markets by Charles IV, it used to suffer from fires (in 1386 the whole western half of the square including the church and town hall were burnt out) and later still from the Hussites rebellions.

According to the Town Chronicle established in 1359 (and later lost) the town of Telc was – except for the castle – conquered in 1423 by the Hussites´army led by Jan Hvezda of Vicemilice. The recovery ot the town required quite a long time, although it was awarded additional privileges in the fifteenth century (fairs, brewing, the sale of salt). Zachariáš of Hradec takes over the Telc estate and both the town and castle enjoy the period of prosperity. This enlightened and rich magnate (also thanks to the mariage with Katerina of Wallenstein) greatly renovates the Gothic castle and constructs joining it a chateau in the Renaissance style. Italian workmen invited to the castle help the burghers to rebuild the Gothic dwellings into the neat houses with attractive facades and arcades. At the same time the town water mains and new hospital were built, and new ponds, trades and new ways of management were established. Zachariáš as well as other men of the Hradec family die without male offspring, and thus Lucie Ottilie, sister of the last of them brings her husband, Vilém Slavata (a well-known governor who had played his role within the Prague Defenestration in 1618) to the Telc estate (as well as to Hradec), together with a new noble family.

The rule of the Slavatas was affected by the Thirty Years' War. Telc as well as the whole region suffers under the Swedish (and also the Imperial) Armies. In 1645 for a short period the town was even occupied and plundered by the Swedish forces. The estate was managed by the men of the family (Vilém, Jáchym Oldrich, Ferdinand Vilém), the history of the town was, however, most influenced by Jáchym's widow whose maiden name was Františka, the Countess of Meggau. She invited the Jesuits to Telc, she had their college built directly opposite the chateau (1655), also the Church of the Name of Jesus (1667) was built, and the former malting house below the parish church was reconstructed to the hostel of St. Angels (resembling a temple music school), in addition she founded a new cemetery at Podoli (1676). At the same time also the Jesuit Latin Grammar School, pharmacy and meteorological centre were founded. The Slavatas rule also ended without any male progeny and the last son of Františka, Jan Karel Jáchym, the general superior of the Carmelite Order, in spite of the Pope's Dispensation refuses to return to the family estate.

 

Thus the Lichtenstein-Kastelkorn family succeed to Telc, but again the first of them – František Antonín (who built the church of St. Jan z Nepomuku and widened the chapel of St. Vojtech) dies in 1761 without a heir. His relative on the distaff side, Alois the Count Podstatsky, unified the coast-of-arms of both the families in 1762. Then the Podstatsky-Lichtensteins managed the Telc estate until 1945 when the last members of the family were espelled to Austria.

The befinning of the 18th century was characterised by oppression from the holders of authority, but then it is possible to register the rise of the middle-class, and the wealthy townspeople help beautify their town with public fountains, the Marian Column, statues and chapels. In the second half of the century the town experiences the reforms of the Austrian Emperor Joseph II: in 1773 righs of the Jesuit Order were cancelled (the college is rebuilt into an army barracks) one year later the same happened to the Grammar School while the church of the Holy Spirit and other chapels were cancelled in 1785. This period seems to be the beginnings of germanisation at schools, in the public life and even in the families.

 

The beginning of the 19th century represents the rise of industrialisation. The Lang factory manufacturing cloths begins in the former Slavata's yard, this factory had as many as 600 employees. The second half of the 19th century brings a reinforcement of national political maturity. An important role was played by the schools founded in 1852. Thanks to the teachers and professors as well as to all the others who were operating there (publisher Šolc and others) there rose a few associations (the Civic Beseda, Omladina (a youth association), Sokol, the National Unity) and Telc played an important role within the whole region of Southwest Moravia.

 

With regard to communications, the isolation of the town ended by the construction of the railway connecting Kostelec with Telc in 1898 and by its additional branch leading from Telc via Slavonice to Schwarzenau in Austria.

 

Also new cultural and economic life started to develop. No matter how much Telc vitalised, grew and spread, the inner town between the ponds and gates has kept the beautiful charm of the days of Zacharias. And this is the main reason for which the historical heart of the town was registered in 1992 on the UNESCO¨s List of World Cultural

Castle of Telc

In the second part of the 14th century the barons of Hradec built a Gothic castle in Telc, which was a simple building in an “L” shape that had first of all defending features, and was fortified by a wall and moat, even in the direction opposite the town. From 1550 Zachariáš of Hradec permanently resided in Telc and he had the old castle rebuilt and widened with a newly built Renaissance palace. The first stage of reconstruction was lead by the well-known architect Leopold Estreicher of Slavonice. From those days the rage sgraffito decorations of e. g. the small banqueting hall and of the treasury have been preserved. Other works were done under the supervision of the Italian artists whom Zachariáš used to invite to Telc during his tours of Italy where he was strongly influenced by the Italian Renaissance art. The completion of the general appearance of the Telc architecture was assigned to Baldassare Maggi of Arogno.

The original condition of most of the castle rooms was not impaired by the later castle owners either: Slavatas 1604 – 1693, Lichtenstein-Kastelkorn 1693 – 1762 and Podstatsky – Lichtenstein 1762 – 1945.

The most remarkable rooms of the Telc castle are the Renaissance halls with beautiful wooden panel ceilings. In the Theatre Hall the ceiling is formed by the panels containing painted masquers (completed in 1556). In the ceiling of the Knight Hall (1570) you will see the acts of Hercules (this painting is assigned to Raimund Paul). The Blue Hall, finished in 1561, contains the allegory of four elements personified by the Roman gods. The ceiling of the famous Golden Hall consists of 30 octagonal panels with impressive figurative wooden carvings (1561). A most important artistic monument is also the stucco decoration of the Chapel of All Saint (1850) with the marble grave stone to Zachariáš and Katerina surrounded by a decorative wrought grille.

With regard to the precious objects on display, you should pay particular attention to the Renaissance jewel-box with the inlaid works dating from 1566, to the armour which is situated in the Knight Hall and dates from the 15th and 16th centuries and to the collection of fire arms containing beautifully decorated rifles from the 17th century. In this hall you will also find the portraits of Zachariáš of Hradec, of his first wife Katerina z Valdštejna and the one of famous “White Lady” Perchta of Rožmberk. In the Blue Hall you can see the picture of Prague defenestration during which the then-owner of Telc, Vilém Slavata was thrown out of Prague Castle window. Rare portraits of Zachariáš´s parents, Anna and Adam which were painted by Jacob Sweiseneger can be seen in the Golden Hall.

The second exhibition route leads through the flat of the last castle owners, the Podstatsky-Lichtensteins. Its furnichings, mostly in their original conditions, represent a significant testimony of the appearance of noble interiors. Among some very interesting exhibits special attention should be paid to the jewel-box from the 17th century, to the collection of historical faiences and to other beautiful works of art. The greenhouse constructed in the Classicist style you will find in the park of the chateau (second quater of the 19th century).

Within the chateau rooms the Gallery of Jan Zrzavý is situated where you can see a survey of the work of this distinguished Czech painter. Here you will also find a branch of the Museum of Uplands. The Telc Museum founded in 1886 is the oldest one within the region of south-west Moravia. Along with the outstanding exhibits of the museum there belongs also a large model of the town dating from 1890, a movable Christmas crib, rich collections that are not only ethnographic, but also historical and archaeological.

 

PRAGUE HOLIDAY - HOTEL ACCOMMODATION BOOKING


CZECH REPUBLIC HOTEL, APARTMENT, HOSTEL & PENSION ACCOMMODATION RESERVATION

e-mail: info@prague-holiday.cz

telephone / fax: +420 234 125230

Prague Holiday Ltd., Myslikova street 28, 120 00 Prague 2 - New Town, Czech Republic